Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Bruce Forsyth to miss Strictly Come Dancing

Bruce Forsyth will miss Strictly Come Dancing for the first time tomorrow night after battling a bad bout of flu.

The 81-year-old entertainer has never missed a show in the past five series of the BBC ballroom dancing series.

Claudia Winkleman, who presents It Takes Two, Strictly's spin- off show, will be stepping up to help Daly host Saturday's show, the BBC has announced.

Bruce Forsyth

BBC bosses are desperately trying to find someone who can replace Bruce Forsyth to co-host this weekend's show with Tess Daly

A BBC spokesman said: 'Tess Daly will be filling Bruce's shoes tonight on Strictly Come Dancing and Claudia Winkleman will be doing Tess's job backstage.'

Video: Ricky Groves speaks about Brucie's illness



Bosses had considered bringing in an outsider to help host the primetime show but felt Forsyth was irreplaceable, deciding instead to keep the programme in the hands of Strictly's regular presenting team.

Claudia Winkleman

Claudia Winkleman has been drafted in to help Tess on Saturday

The veteran television presenter is expected to be watching the show from home.

Tonight the BBC said viewers could expect a 'surprise' tomorrow night but refused to give anything away.

Forsyth is said to be recovering at his home in Virginia Water, Surrey, with his wife Wilnelia caring for him.

A BBC source said: 'Bruce has got the flu and will miss the show on doctor's orders.

Bruce has often told how he puts so much into the show that he is forced to spend Sundays in bed to recover.

Speaking just a week ago, he revealed how he has to force himself to rest, saying: 'I can’t stay asleep because the adrenalin of doing a live show is still pumping round my body.

'Last Sunday, for instance, I got up at 6am. I was hungry, as I never eat much when I’m doing the show, so I went downstairs, made my porridge and watched Match of the Day.

'I watched television until about 9.30am, then went back to bed for a few hours. I got up for lunch, then went back to bed after lunch and watched football and golf on TV. Then in the evening, I got up again for an hour and had a cup of tea.

'Then it was back to bed for a normal night’s sleep. That’s my routine while I’m doing Strictly and on Monday mornings, I'm as good as new.'

No comments:

Post a Comment